How beliefs are different from actions?

In our daily lives, it is common for us to think and talk about actions in normative terms. I should do this, I'd better not do that, for different reasons, depending on the situation. Actions are amenable to such regulating, normative attitudes because we can choose how to act, we have control over our actions. In other words, our …

Continue reading How beliefs are different from actions?

Intuitive Beliefs, Cups, and Worldviews

I like a nice cup of good black tea. In fact, one such cup stands in front of me just now as I am typing this. I do not have any doubts about it, I do not need to reflect on it to establish whether it is indeed so. There it is - my cup …

Continue reading Intuitive Beliefs, Cups, and Worldviews

Our Beliefs Develop in Circles

Have you ever wondered how your beliefs are formed? We all have worldviews that are informed by our beliefs about life. But how are our beliefs created? And by whom? In this article, I explore one possible answer offered by cognitive science. Especially its new branch of inquiry - cognitive science of religion (CSR) - …

Continue reading Our Beliefs Develop in Circles

Could Our Beliefs Be an Evolutionary Advantage?

The current world population amounts to approximately 7,8 billion people. You, me, all of us. According to the latest estimations, roughly 85% of us feel affiliated with one of the currently practised religions. The remaining 15% do not necessarily all identify as atheists, some see themselves as agnostic or simply non-religious, having no strong views …

Continue reading Could Our Beliefs Be an Evolutionary Advantage?